Custom Search

Sunday, March 28, 2010

D.I.Y Bushwick Music Festival


Madame Beak
What: D.I.Y Bushwick Music Festival
When: Friday, March 26th, 2010
Where: Goodbye Blue Monday
            1087 Broadway -                                   Bushwick, Brooklyn                                                        
Who:   The Suite Unraveling        
             Madame Beak
             The Americas
             Rooftops
Why we loved it: Grassroots, local sponsors and supporters
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
The Americas
On Friday I attended the first ever D.I.Y Bushwick Music Festival.  Even though I only went to one of the several events hosted during the 4-day festival, I think the one I saw encompassed it's essence. Everything from the venue decor, crowd, and food to the eclectic bands, screamed grassroots. This independent effort was made possible by Bushwick Music Studios in association with Arts in Bushwick and Deli Magazine. What makes this initiative unique is the  way that the coordinator, Tito Ladd, organized this Buschwick festival through partnerships with area venues and bands without corporate assistance. In my opinion, this was executed successfully!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
When I entered Goodbye Blue Monday, I was immediately struck by the art works and whimsical antiques that embellished the space and bands performing on stage. It sounded as though the saxophonists of The Suite    Unraveling used his instrument as both his voice and turntable, while harmonizing with the band. The combination of bongos, guitar, drum, keyboard, flute, and lyrical expression of Madame Beak's band kept me enchanted. While, co-headlining tour bands, The Americas and Rooftops, blended grunge and hardrock with alternative sounds. The patrons seemed to embrace each band with applause and conversation, giving supportive donations, and buying a few CDs. All in all, it was a fun night that proved independent concert series are possible. I hope to see a second D.I.Y Bushwick Music Festival!






















The Suite Unraveling




Rooftops

No comments:

Post a Comment